Getting back in the game: sewing a throw pillow on a whim

Between a new job, wedding planning, and a move to a new apartment, I haven’t had much time for pursuits of my hobbies. I reached a point last week where I had to leave work early out of sheer exhaustion and I realized something had to change. I decided that I’m sick of running around constantly, ignoring the part of myself that actually makes me happy: my creative side.

I attended my first dance class in months last week and it felt like I was finally myself again (or a very inflexible version of myself). I took Friday off from work and decided to really spend some time this weekend tackling some projects on my list. Most importantly, I decided that I HAD to sew something. It had simply been too long.

I had some extra fabric laying around that I had always envisioned as a good fabric for a pillow. While I had never made a pillow before, I figured it couldn’t be too hard. After a quick trip to Joanns to get a pillow, I was ready to wing it.

I started by placing the pillow on the fabric and using my rotary cutter to cut a rectangle slightly larger that the pillow to allow for seam allowances.

Then I doubled it (and straightened out the wonky shape a little)

After cutting out both sides, I pinned three sides together

And got to sewing. Once I had the three sides sewn, I tried the pillow inside to see if it would fit:

It was pretty much a perfect fit! I was feeling pretty confidant. Then, I realized I didn’t know how to sew it closed with the pillow inside… Awkward.

After brainstorming for a few minutes, buttons seemed like the logical (and only) solution. Luckily I had a few in my sewing supply box, so after picking a few out and guessing where I’d like them, I marked by placement with tailor’s chalk and finished the edges:

I was ready for the buttons. There was only one problem, I had no idea how to use the button hole foot on my sewing machine. After a few minutes with the manual and a phone call with my mom where I made sure NOT to mention the pillow for fear of jinxing it, I gave it a shot.

I don’t know how they used to make button holes, but oh man was this easier than I thought it was going to be! Infused with confidence, I added 5 more button holes and sewed on the buttons on the other side. The final product looked like this:


not totally even spacing but no one should be looking!

I was so proud of myself, despite my obvious lack of planning of how to close the case. I feel like this is a better solution since we can take the case off and wash it if needed (and with my track record of spilling things, it will be needed)!

I think this was the perfect project to get me back in the game! I’m looking forward to burning through more of my fabric stash and getting some projects done. Nothing feels better than walking in to your house and knowing that you made something there.

It makes our new couch seem so much more special to me! I still have some of the fabric left so hopefully I can make a mate for this little guy this weekend!

Continue Reading

This week’s flowers

This week’s flowers keeping my bedside table clutter free are quite lovely:


The whole fresh flower trick is really working and allowing me to remain clutter-less. I may need to get some for the coffee table too. That’s a work in progress.

Continue Reading

It’s here!!

So look what came back in stock 2 months early!


That’s right! My duvet cover. It was supposed to be on back order until mid May but miraculously showed up at my doorstep yesterday. I was totally surprised and so happy once i opened the package because the Mr and I both love the design.

Once we get a chance to wash it and get all those wrinkles out (and I do some spring cleaning) I’ll show you a better picture. For now I’m just excited to finally have a normal looking bed again.

Continue Reading